Friday 5 December 2008

Jerry Mcguire Mission Statement

Jerry Mcguire is one of my favourite movies. Tom Cruise plays the title role. Initially, i had seen the movie only for him but then i read up about the mission statement that Jerry makes in the 13th Annual meet. That pricked a few of the issues that i feel and face myself, although in a different light.

Some excerpts (found on the web) i like in Jerry McGuire's MISSION STATEMENT,
The things we think and do not say: thoughts of a sports attorney..

"Every time you allow a problem in your life, you are actually at a point of transformation. Crisis is a powerful point of transformation."

"I have not gone to India to explore my life, as my brother has. I have not been in a major car accident, or fathered a child. I have not created a life, nor have I killed anyone. I am neutral. I have a nice home, a nice car, a fiancee who makes my heart race. But I have not taken that step, or risk, that makes the air I have breathed for 35 years worthwhile. I once had a yellow couch. I got rid of it because it was neutral. My life is now like that yellow couch."

"But I have not taken that step, or risk, that makes the air I have breathed for 35 years worthwhile."

"And yet, as I sit here in the wonderful Miami Hilton, I have never been so happy to be alive. I have said "later" to most anything that required true sacrifice. Later I will spend a weekend reading real books, not just magazines. Later I will visit my grandmother who is 100 and unable to really know the difference. Later I will visit the clients whose careers are over, but of course I promised to stay in touch. Later later later later. It is too easy to say "later" because we all believe our work to be too important to stop, minute to minute, for something that might interfere with the restless and relentless pursuit of forward motion. Of greater success. Make no mistake, I am a huge fan of success. But tonight, I propose a better kind of success. I could be wrong, but if you keep reading and I keep writing, we might get there together."

"Somehow all this has been bubbling up inside me. A man is the sum total of his experiences. And it is now that I am interested in shaping the experiences to come.
How can we do something surprising, and memorable with our lives? How can we turn this job, in small but important ways, into a better representation of ourselves?"


Still thinking, still contemplating......

No comments: